Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Double Page Spread

Interview with Elijah:

So, Elijah we’re so glad to finally meet you. You've become a media sensation in just a matter of weeks. How does it feel to have become famous so quickly?

I know it’s been an absolute whirlwind! I still can’t believe it, I never in a million years thought this would happen to someone as normal as me.  I can’t get over the fact people recognize me in public and ask for a photo *laughs in shock*. It still feels like a dream that I'm about to wake up from!

I bet you can’t! We can’t believe you’re only 19 and you've been signed already, what a fantastic achievement. How did it all come about?

Well, I've been performing small local venues and sometimes just in my town Centre since I've been 12 years old. I've always wanted more though, but never had confidence in myself to apply for an audition for a small record company let alone the likes of Syco! My friends kept saying how good I was and that I had something special and I should start posting on YouTube to create a fan base. So that’s what I did and that’s how I got spotted by Simon Cowell.. it felt surreal at the time, actually it still does!  

Sounds like you've got strong friends supporting you! Has anyone else inspired you to create your music?

I come from quite a musically talented family, my sister is a professional backing singer for Rizzle Kicks, and my Dad is a music examiner for RBSM and he can also play the piano. He has always encouraged my sister and me to join choirs and that kind of stuff from an early age so I guess my inspiration mainly comes from him!

Wow, he sounds like he’s been a pretty amazing Dad! Has he supported you the whole way through since you started performing?

Yes, he’s been so helpful and amazing to me. He bought me my own sound system and microphone for my 15th Birthday! He’s also paid for my professional singing lessons and came along to every single gig I have had since I can remember, I owe him a lot.

So, everyone at Fusion wants to know, is Elijah really your name?

I'm afraid it’s not! *laughs* It is just my stage name; my real name is Elliott so it’s not far off! I love the name Elijah and it sounds really fresh and different. I chose it because it means the ‘The Strong Lord’ which I feel is how I have been brought up to feel like to aspire to be. So, there’s my big secret revealed *rolls eyes jokingly*.

Well, I'm glad that’s cleared up! You have such a distinct style both musically and the way you dress, if any, who would you compare yourself to?

Yeah I guess I am quite unique, with music I have a very broad taste. It ranges from Justin Timberlake to Jay-Z to the Arctic Monkeys! I have no specific taste in a particular genre of music but I do love when artists sing acoustic because that way you get to hear their voice raw without any beats. When it comes to fashion I do dress a bit randomly, I usually put on clothes that reflect how I am feeling. At the moment I am loving denim! Denim jacket, dungarees, denim shirts and jeans. You name it I've got it *laughs*. Although double denim is definitely a fashion crime! *cringes*.


Continued on next page


No comments:

Post a Comment